We here at Yoke want to give design students, graduates and junior designers a glimpse of what it’s really like to work in the industry we know and love.
While uni or college offers an aspiring designer the luxury of time and space to complete their course work, it’s not always something that they will be afforded outside the confides of the classroom.
In real life, tight deadlines are what drive the creative process. Design projects often have demanding time frames, with a limited amount of hours allocated for each project.
To ease what can be a somewhat bumpy transition from design school to working life, we wanted to provide the next wave of promising Melburnian designers first-hand experience of life in a creative studio.
‘A Brief Night’ is a hands-on design event and a hopefully good learning experience for design students, graduates and junior designers. The event will give you an idea of how well you would cope with the tasks and demands of a working studio.
The first event will take place on Thursday 6th Feb 2014 at 6pm. The night will be fast-paced and you’ll be set to work on the sort of jobs you would be likely to encounter on the job.
Here’s how it’s going to work:
- Every participant on the night will be presented with a solo design brief upon arrival.
- The brief may not be perfect and you may have to rely on more than just your design skills to get the job done. In other words, ‘expect the unexpected’.
- After the briefing, you have 90 minutes to come up with the goods.
- During those 90 minutes, help, advice and direction are available to those who want it.
- Once the 90 minutes is up, everyone drops tools and stops working.
- You’ll present your work to the rest of the group over some refreshments.
- Further constructive feedback and advice will be offered.
Does the above sound good? Perhaps even a little bit exciting? If that’s the case, register your interest at http://yokedesign.com.au/a-brief-night/